Hibernate Maven Plugin
The hibernate-maven-plugin is a plugin for generating a database-schema from your Hibernate-Mappings and create or update your database accordingly. Its main usage is to automatically create and populate a test-database for unit-tests in cooperation with the dbunit-maven-plugin.
The plugin was designed with three main goals in mind:
- It should be easy to use.
- It should be maximal unlikely, to erase a producation-database by accident.
- It should not slow down the development cycle.
To achieve the first goal, the convention-over-configuration paradigma was applied and the plugin was stuffed with usefull logging-messages. So, if in doubt, just turn on the debugging output with the mvn -X ....
To achieve the second goal, the precedence in which the configuration locations are consulted was layouted in a way that makes it possible, to prevent overwrites of the wrong database by accident.
Last but not least, in order to not slow down the development cycle, the hibernate-maven-plugin only executes the generated SQL, if the mapping or the configuration has changed (or if you force it to do so).
For more information about the inspiration to write this tiny plugin, read our blog-article about the hibernate-maven-plugin.
- See Configuration Examples for Usage-Explanations and simple examples of how to use this plugin.
- See hibernate:create, See hibernate:drop and Plugin Documentation for the full autogenerated documentation. These are mostly configuration-options from the Hibernate-Tooling, that does the work in the background.